Logo

Nothing seems to match-up after reviewing various forums!

Blue Gill

Hello everyone,
I purchased an older boat some time ago that came with an Evinrude 18hp Fastwin motor. The serial number stamped on the plate reads: E0002859. All the guides I have found available do not list these numbers making it difficult to find needed parts. The issue I'm having is although the motor runs sweet at higher rpm, the idle speed required for trolling spits & sputters through the carb. The carb stamp on the side of the housing reads: 315082-D4. My questions please are what year is this motor & is there a replacement carburetor available? Thank you kindly for any assistance that you could offer!

Evinrude made several versions of the Fastwin from the early 1950s through the early 1970s, so it's difficult to say what year/model yours is. Your serial number should start with 15 or 18. You can get the carb parts but I doubt that you'll find a carb. Fastwins were 15 or 18 HP and came with pull start and electric start. I have a couple. One's a '56 15 hp pull and the other is a '58 18 hp electric start.

Post a picture of the metal plate with MODEL and that serial #.-----There likely is a disc on the block with the same info.-----Or post a picture of the motor if paint / cosmetics are original.-----Some old timers can identify it in just seconds !

You would never need a new carburetor.----Install the carburetor repair kit.-----Or open low speed mixture needle 1/4 turn at a time.-----Or make sure throttle plate is not opening too soon.

Thank you Gentlemen, attached, please find a couple of pictures showing the serial # & the fiberglass motor shroud. You'll see why this has become so confusing since the numbers don't match up with any guides, nor the paint scheme on the cowl don't match either with any pictures shown throughout the net.
On the mixture screw, there's a lean / rich dial next to the choke pull that I've played with however it doesn't respond to how the motor runs. It is hooked up.

Okay....after writing this the 3 - 3.5MB pics don't seem to want to upload, (or drag & drop). I've got pictures but I need to ask what I'm overlooking in getting them to you. Sorry for the ignorance.

Yes Racerone, the plate (fastened to the mounting bracket) reads:
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
SEE INSTRUCTION MANUAL
SERIAL NUMBER
E0002859
EVINRUDE MOTORS
MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN USA

The disc on the block (kinda looks like a soft plug) reads:
18203R
E02859

Back