Logo

newbie needs help

rj kemp

hi i have an 82 hammond with 5.7l and a stringer 800 was at cruising speed when all of the sudden it felt like it popped into neutral, it did overheat. now no forward or reverse gears, and impellar does not seem to be working. my guess is vertical shaft in lower unit or water pump shaft? any suggestions or ideas would be a huge help.

the test is put it in forward, turn the prop if the ball gears move it's the coupler, if the prop turns and the ball gears don't move it's the shaft.

You can tilt the drive a little so you can see the ball gears easily.

Ether way i would pull the water ppump and at least inspect the shaft splines.

See my coupler went and after changing it out i went on the water and the shafts stripped out.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, the ball gears are not moving, I went ahead and ordered the kit from the link you sent me chiefalen that has new water pump and shafts. when it gets here i will tear it all the way out and get it done, hopefully.

so you put it in gear and the prop turns and the ball gears don't move correct ?

Hy if in gear and the prop shaft turns and the ball gears don't move it's the shaft stripped.

If the ball gears move it's the coupler splines went.

Do not pull on that cable i forget if i wrote that in the pm.

Be gentle with it, will be enough room to move the lower port " left " When you drop the exhaust and lower jut place it on a waiting cooler / table .

What i do is raise the drive 1/3 of the way and then lower the trailer as far as it will go to get the rear of the boat up in the air.

Last edited:
chief that is what makes sense to me, it all points to the shaft. ya i am going to treat the cable like a newborn, i do not feel like buying a new one or even trying to find one. i really appreciate the help. if you are ever in albuquerque i owe you dinner or a day on the lake or both.

We went on a summer trip with the kids all around the Us nationals parks, anyway we went thru maybe 30 or more states and one of my favorite town was albuquerque we stayed there overnight and the next morning i opend the blinds and there was a thousand hot air ballons in the air. we had no idea.

We ate at the brazillian grill, i said to my wife i could retire here. I remember like it was yesterday.

How big a lake is that ?

Last edited:
well it depends on how far you want to go, i usually go to elephant butte or conchas, which are 2-3 hours away or if i just want to fish and get the boat in the water i go to cochiti which is less than an hour but no wake allowed. you must be talking about tucanos, they have great food if you are on top of the food chain.

7-8 years my wife will be able to retire from the NYC Board od ED. We still speak of the few days we spent in your town. Mind you we stayed in many hotels, and our fav. was the Embassy suites in your town.

I regret not spending more time there and getting on a boat. But one day we will be looking for a winter home. I own a condo in fl Delray beach. An apt. in Manhatten i will inherit, not the way i want to own it. And a house upstate NY.

We live full time dead in the woods of NJ, 15 minutes to the Raritan bay. So i trailer my boat there. Deer are all over my area and in my backyard. Skunks "4 legged and 2 legged"
if you count the politicians are here also. Taxes kill us here so when the wife retires this house in NJ goes also.

We will be selling fl, soon as the market comes up a bit.

The upstate house when the kids were little we stayed at all summer log and sent the kids to day camp.

But they don't want to go there any more. That house also has to go.

I did not know water was so far away from you hmmm.

So our intent a few months in NY for the theater, we noticed a small one bye you main street and a few months at the winter home wherever that maybe. Somewhere on a lake we think.

I rambled on here a bit, my apologies.

chief if you and the wife are lokking to adopt a good son,, id be willing to iherit one of your vacation homes ....jk lol plus you could help me fix my p.o.s. boat lol

Back