Logo

new to volvo

sleddinscott

i went and looked at a boat last night and the guy didnt seem to know anything about it.
the boats is made by formula marine and has twin 4 cylinder volvos
numbers on the engines are 4986 jb6 418201 can anyone tell me year and hp of these i am thinking they are fairly old
thanks for any replys
scott

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the older Formulas, nor for that matter the older Volvo engine/drives. Some of the older Formula boats are very well made and are almost becoming collectibles. The 200 series volvo drives, IMHO, are much preferred over the current ones. Power trim is much overrated and "needed" only on poorly designed boats or for those hot footers who insist on dynamically trimming their drives to get that last little bit of acceleration out of a boat.

Hello.
I am Ivan from Italy.

The engin motor as Volvo Penta mod. AQ 110/200 110 Hp Kw 80.90 yaer 1963/1969.

Best regards from Naples.

Bye ;)

Scott, I'm very much Pro-Volvo Penta, but I'd steer clear of anything this old. They will be under-powered as well.

Now, if you love the boat, then you could replace these AQ 110/200's, with a pair of the Volvo Penta OHC 4's..... those are Dam good little engines.
You'd need to love this boat, in order for it to make sense, IMO.

The OHC 4's require the 2.15:1 drive ratio... so you may as well replace the drives and transom shields also.
The 4 cylinder drives are usually very IN-expensive, as they DO NOT wear out.... so the used market for these is very soft, so to speak.
However, the OHC 4 engines hold their own value.

Two parts donor boats, with two good OHC 4's, would be near perfect for you.

Again, you'd need to absolutely love this boat, in order for it to make sense.

Last edited:
You are sure that this engine is not reliable?

In fact, on my boat have replaced this engine with a mercruiser 3.0-.

But even this 1 Volvo Penta AQ 110/200 is 4 cylinder in-line ...

is that bad?

and the foot 200?
I heard that many were defective.
Thanks. Bye ;)

Ivan, I'm not sure of your question.
The older Volvo Penta push rod engines are pretty much outdated by now. Not too many people are willing to keep them going, IMO.
Not that these are bad engines...... they are decent engines.
It's just too dang easy to find a boat with a soft or bad transom, and use it as a parts donor boat.

You can't believe how cheaply we can pick up good Volvo Penta running gear, from a hull that has literally gone to Hell, and is falling apart around the engine/drive.
Plus, it's pretty darn hard to wear out the Volvo Penta stuff. You have to almost deliberately try to break one. IMO, that is!

If what you are calling a "foot 200" is a V/P 200 out drive......, then I'd also suggest steering clear of a 200 drive.
New parts would be cost prohibitive, and there are not that many good used 200 parts available these days. They can be found, but it may not be as easy.
Soon after the 250 drive, many parts can be made to interchange, if you know which does with what.
Again..... I'll site the donor boat idea.

In my experience buying ANYTHING...if the guy says " I don't know nothing about it"....RUN AWAY. He knows more than he's letting on. You look like a giant dollar sign to him !!
If you're buying your FIRST Boat...buy one with ONE engine. Now, if you've got lots of money to throw away, go for it. I wouldn't.

In post #5, I addressed Scott, and I should have said Ivan. Sorry about any confusion.

Scott (the OP) is no longer involved in this thread. He posted only 1 time, and it was one year ago.
He probably lost interest, or found the info he was looking for elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back