Logo

New Honda Owner - Any Advice?

billy062694

Hi All,

New owner of two Honda BF225's. I've always been a Merc guy, but heard great things about these motors and got them at a price I couldn't refuse. I've owned Honda vehicles my entire life so figured I'd make the switch on the boat too.

Anyways, could use advice please!! I just bought a pair of 2002, 225's for next to nothing (just under 2000 hours - always serviced by a Honda dealer. Owned by a 75 year old Millionaire who kept the boat at Marina with a Honda Tech. 1 motor is in good shape - no issues there. the 2nd motor I was told is having overheating issues. For the price I got them for, I took both to see if I could get the 2nd one running. Any advice on where to start? Here is as much as I know about the motor:
- Honda Tech told me they replaced the midsection of the other motor about 1.5 years ago. I'm assuming it had something to do with a corrosion issue.
- I was told that the 2nd motor MAY need similar repair - but TBD not that.
- Impellers were changed last year - shouldn't be them
- I was told that the thermostat housing had only slight corrosion.

I've done just about as much research on these motors as I could the last few days. It sounds like the midsection corrosion issue isn't typical, but does seem to happen time to time. I've also learned about to keep up with the driveshaft bushing.

1) Would midsection corrosion cause overheating?
2) Im familiar with the early 2000's Yamaha corrosion issue. Would this be a similar issue? Pull the power head, inspect the seal, oil pan, etc.
3) Any idea's on where to start, what to check, etc? My plan was to first check compression (didn't check on 2nd motor), then drop the lower unit and have a look. Might as well replace or see what the impeller looks like, as well as that bushing.

If anyone could point me in the right direction with a step by step list of what they would be checking (before I mount it and try to start it), that would be fantastic. Thank you!!!

Hi,
if you are having an overheat issue then you should start by inspecting things in a sequential way:
Start with the impeller, impeller housing, water tube and grommets going up.
Thermostats check in hot water with thermometer , thermostat housings and covers for buildup and corrosion.
If the problem persists in my honest opinion use a mild cleaner to free possible buildup.
In the event these thing don’t resolve the issue then removing the cylinder head assemblies with camshaft valves etc would be the next approach.
Buildup of salt and scale usually starts from the bottom up.
If found should be removed with mechanical means as in scraped out and so forth.
Best to check the obvious and in the case where things are not working out the next best thing is to remove the cylinder head and the exhaust manifolds and check for corrosion and or salt buildup and replace the manifold zincs plus the engine block zincs.

Considering both motors are about 20 years young, it might also be advisable to look into the good engine as well.
Lots of motors don’t show any symptoms but may hide possible salt buildup and scale so at 2000 hours and twenty years young it won’t hurt to make a thorough check.

Back