Logo

New guy with a 1980 140 HP OB (advice please??)

Del Gurney

Howdy:
I have this 140 Mercury perched on the back of a 18' Marlin and sitting on an Ezloader trailer.
Got it off my buddy next door....been sitting in his barn since 1999. Cleaned it up a bit.

But I have an issue: Tried to drop the gear box to replace the water pump but it appears that the
spline interface is frozen.....oh noooooooo!!
The whole kit (boat, trailer and motor were always in fresh water but a couple decades of sitting have
taken a toll obviously.

I went to the Mercury dealer and she recommended putting shims above the athwartship nuts, whacking with
rubber mallet .....but no go.

The motor appears to never have been touched with a wrench and my buddy said it ran up at at 50+mph
before he retired it due to a rotten transom (which he rebuilt) but never used it again after almost 20 years!!

I've replaced the deck and sealed in fiber glass, beefed up the transom, total restoration of the trailer, original
upholstery at a pro shop for bits and bobs repair and new fuel tank, lines, filter, and wiring etc.

I will gladly accept advice....the whole "kit" was given to me for free (meaning that it could be the most expensive
gift I ever got)!!!!!!!

Pics to follow....Serial Number is 532811.6 (as close as I can tell) Inline 6, 3 carbs...only 2 with choke....an odd crank case
breather system (not shown on factory diagrams but is certainly factory.)

How to break free the drive shaft?????
I think I should do a compression test of all 6 holes to make sure that I don't end up putting a $1,000 collar on a $10 dog!

Thanks guys .... at least it was free (ish) but I love learning at my age....even if it costs a buck or two.

..."How to break free the drive shaft????? "

Assuming you removed the bolt hiding under the trim tab, my method is to run the motor in a barrel (with the nuts really loose) and let it shake itself free.

Jeff

Jeff: Do you mean the back bolt hiding under the zinc? I located 3 nuts and the "under zinc" bolt.
I like your idea though...
..I gotta couple things to fix first before a do a compression test and see if it runs.
Thanks man

Back