Logo

Need advice on size of battery

firsthouse

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to ask advice.
Am really new to this but just wanted to get a dinghy and an electric motor to pootle around the rivers, lakes and sea.
Well, we got the dinghy (Avon 2.7m inflatable) and just bought a 40LB Bison motor, but needed advice on the best battery to get.
It obviously mustn't be too heavy, and also how do people set it up at the back of a dinghy with no hard 'floor'?
Do I need to put in a slatted floor or a piece of marine ply that I can attach the battery box to?
Any advice much appreciated!
Andy

Hi Andy,
What I would say is if you're just using it for a dinghy, I would stick with a smaller size like a group 24 (lead acid deep cycle or lithium deep cycle) battery and pair it with a battery box. Maybe put some sort of plywood or starboard down to even out the weight of the battery. Hope this helps!

Hi Andy,
What I would say is if you're just using it for a dinghy, I would stick with a smaller size like a group 24 (lead acid deep cycle or lithium deep cycle) battery and pair it with a battery box. Maybe put some sort of plywood or starboard down to even out the weight of the battery. Hope this helps!
Thanks for this, v helpful!
andy

Just a note to add a meter to see how much "fuel" you have. I personally would go big rather than small. Better to have and not need than to ...you know.

Back