Logo

Motor Will Not Idle

Deweyc66

Hello all I am new to this so please be patient with me. I have a 1992 Evinrude 60HP Model E60TLENE that will not idle. It starts fine and will run good if I have the high idle lever up or running it on the water at higher throttle. In neutral or low speed it will die. I purchased this motor last April from a dealer. He told me he rebuilt the carbs, put on a new starter, new water pump and fresh oil in lower unit. The VRO has been deleted. I purchased a manual and have done every step in the link and sync procedure up to setting the idle timing. I have the carbs set to the initial low speed setting per the manual. I thought I would check to see if anything I had done so far had helped but did not. Any ideas. Thank You

Step # 1 is to post the compression test numbers.------And does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block ?----Or does it come off the top of the block ?

Are the 3 throttle plates closed at idle ?----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more ?----Thermostat in place?-----Flywheel key sheared ?

Sounds like maybe the idle SPEED (RPM) screw many not be set high enough.
I do not have the idle adjustment screw on my motor. It has an idle timing adjustment screw located under the flywheel, is this what you are talking about. I am a first time boat owner and know very little about outboard motors but I am trying to learn as I go so I can hopefully fix things vs spending a thousand dollars every time I take it to the shop.

Are the 3 throttle plates closed at idle ?----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more ?----Thermostat in place?-----Flywheel key sheared ?
Throttle plates are closed at idle. Dont know how to check spark jump. Have not checked t-stat or flywheel key. I know very little about outboard motors but trying to learn.

I do not have the idle adjustment screw on my motor. It has an idle timing adjustment screw located under the flywheel, is this what you are talking about. I am a first time boat owner and know very little about outboard motors but I am trying to learn as I go so I can hopefully fix things vs spending a thousand dollars every time I take it to the shop.

OK, I'm not familiar with your particular model. But I do know that for over half a century, idle speed has been set up by some variation of a basic scheme. Carbs and spark advance (retard) are synchronized together. As you move the control toward idle the spark moves toward retard and the throttle plates close. At some point, the throttle plates are closed and further movement simply retards the spark. It basically is the retard of spark that governs the idle speed. That amount of retard is limited by some sort of adjustable screw. That screw is what I was talking about. To slow an idle and the motor conks out when you put it in gear,

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, which is nothing.

OK, I'm not familiar with your particular model. But I do know that for over half a century, idle speed has been set up by some variation of a basic scheme. Carbs and spark advance (retard) are synchronized together. As you move the control toward idle the spark moves toward retard and the throttle plates close. At some point, the throttle plates are closed and further movement simply retards the spark. It basically is the retard of spark that governs the idle speed. That amount of retard is limited by some sort of adjustable screw. That screw is what I was talking about. To slow an idle and the motor conks out when you put it in gear,

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, which is nothing.
Although I did not pay for any advice I really appreciate as it helps me understand how this motor works. I have a manual which I have been using to make adjustments. I know some of the adjustments should be done while the boat is in the water although at this time I am running it on muffs to see if I can get it to idle, I would like to think I should be able to obtain that and the fine tune it on the water.

Back