Logo

mercusier 2008 MPI 6.2 Shane Darwin Australia

Hello all first time on line my mercusier 6.2 mpi 2008 which I have attached to a bravo one leg after the 1993 7.4 mercusier died has a sytem fault on smartcraft gauges coming up saying "water pressure sensor is not working properly" the remedy is to restart engine which is not clearing the fault any ideas its good friday here and I want to go out fishing sunday

Welcome to the forum Shane. When does this happen? Have you tried running at high rpm with the fault? If so, what is the engine temp reading? If normal, it could just be a faulty sensor. If temp starts climbing, may be a bad impeller. If a real issue does exist, turning the engine off and on won't make the fault go away.

Thanks for the replies Guys it only comes on when I turn on the ignition and keeps going while motoring the engine is not over heating its running at normal 120 degrees so yes it maybe the sensor where is it located on the engine?

As I have a '92 7.4L Bravo, I don't have a pressure sensor and I am not sure of exact location on the B.B.C. MPI, but as Woodieman said, the raw water pump (discharge pressure side) is a good place to start, and if it's a closed cooling system, possibly the heat exchanger inlet from the raw water pump. Not too many other places for it to go...... Do your manifold risers stay cool? If so, that would indicate decent water flow thru them and pressure sensor accuracy may be suspicious. When logic says "water pressure sensor is not working properly", usually means it didn't pass the system self-test when logic initiated the test and is defective and "locks in" the alarm, vs: low pressure problem.

PS: This post is in the OMC forum. You may get more / better responses if it were in the Mercruiser forum.

Last edited:
Can you let us know EXACTLY what the fault sentence reads, it makes a difference. Include abreviations as well. What i'm looking for is whether it's a flow issue or a sensor/wiring issue. The word "circuit" or "CKT" lo or hi is an indication that it's a sensor or wiring problem. The omission of those indicates a sensor or flow poblem. Let us know. Diagnostic ranges are 1-5 psi at idle and 7-17 psi at WOT.

I assume one of the first things you did (easiest) was check the intake on the drive to ensure it's clear?

I agree with 04fxdwgi, this does belong in the Merc forum but don't start another thread there or we'll have to start this all over again. You can get in touch with the people that run the forum and ask them to move this thread to the Merc one.

WoodieMan
the message coming up on the smart craft gauges is as per my first post "water pressure sensor is not working properly" and when you press the gauge button it tells you to restart the motor and if the problem persits to contact your service centre. The boat is kept in a marina so I will go for a dive today and check the intakes but the motor has a closed cooling system and salt water only cols the leg and exhaust maifolds I believe

OK, so it sounds like a sensor issue then. They should hook it up to a diagnostic tool. It will tell them for sure. In closed cooling, the sea water removes heat from your closed cooling heat exchanger so proper sea water flow is critical even in closed cooling.

Back