Logo

Mercury XR2 150 stuggling to get on plane but eventually does.

llyons

Hi Recently in the last 3-4 times out on the boat, the Merc 150xr2 doesnt have the hole shot it used to. It does get on plane but takes about 300 yards and once its on plane it gets going like it used too at WOT. There is no miss. The fuel lines from motor to fuel tank were all changed and the fuel tanks drained and new fuel added. The priming bulb does not seem to get hard but on plane at WOT, it does not have any sputter from a fuel shortage.

I checked the timing for throttle pickup and it was 11deg ATDC and at WOT it was 23 BTDC. This seems to be correct. i also adjusted the carburetor linkages to set the roller against the throttle cam.
i did not rebuild the carbs but did a year ago. I did clean the 6 main jets on the bowls.

What could be causing the motor to not have the hole shot it used too but still achieve the same top end after getting on plane?

No nothing related to a boat full of water.
I am starting to feel like this might be a stator problem. I recall having something like this before but back then I also lost a powerpack / switch box and only had one bank firing. I do have both sides firing but not able to take it into the higher rpm range.

Could a defective high rpm winding on the stator cause this kind of issue?

Would I still be able to get on a plane with the high winding defective?

BTW, I also measured compression and the values all look really good for such an old motor.

1 123
2 124
3 125
4 127
5 123
6 125

Back