Logo

Mercury Optimax XS Pro DFI Oil cunsumption?

Maddawg46

I have a direct injected 2013 Mercury. I was told that the motor computer adds extra oil during break in and then cuts it back after break in. Does anyone know when this oil reduction happens? Three, four, ten hours? We took her up to 60 and 65mph for several runs the other day. About an hour of high speed varying rpm and one hour and a half cool down.
looked like almost 1/2 of the oil tank was consumed. Seemed a lot to me, but I had a four stroke before this motor.

I've got older ones - 2006 150's, but my understanding are most of the changes happened between 1999 and 2002 and they have stuck with about the same design since.

As a general rule, Opti's use TONS of oil. Like literally at least a 50:1 ratio it seems to me and under some conditions I swear it's 40:1. I think this is also why the exhaust coming out of an Opti burns your eyes :).

I've got smartcraft but don't trust fuel gauges so much and literally measure my usage based on oil, 1 gallon = 50 gallons of fuel and that's pretty accurate the way I run (cruise at ~3700 RPM)..

We run fishing boats, so shoot for maximum MPG's (long trips) and do not run them hard much, but a bunch of us in my area swear by Penzoil XLF. It's 18 bucks/gallon at Walmart and I know one guy that's got 2500 hours on a set of older Opti's running it. Much cheaper than the Mercury stuff, different color but has the same odd smell.

Jon

Back