Logo

Mercury 9.9hp 4 stroke carb help

djax78

Hey everyone, brand new boat owner here. Very novice mechanic, so everything is unfamiliar to me...but trying to learn.

The motor usually starts fine and runs at very low speed, but when I try to throttle forward it sputters and fades. I had a mechanic tweak it last year and his solution to sputtering issues was to seal everything with gasket maker sealer. Someone recommended that I may need to clean the carburetor, so I'm about to give that a try.

A couple questions:

1) What is this taped off part above the carb (see pics)? It was taped over when I bought it, and the connection is undone. I've not been able to see this referenced in any videos or forums I've looked at so far. The boat manages to run without it hooked up, so seems non-essential? IMG_3755.jpg

2) Am I in danger of damaging anything if I remover the carburetor with all this silicon gasket seal all over the place?

Using too much sealer can plug up small passage ways.----Do not use RTV type sealer !-----First test compression.----Then test for strong spark on both leads.----If those are good look at fuel delivery.

Back