Logo

mercruiser gm 1979 305 898

birdy916

hey guys 1979 898, lately i have been having problems shifting into gears in the water. it seems a little off and grinds and doesnt go into go. but if someone rocks the shift bracket, it'll go into gear. earlier i looked at my user manual on how to adjust and check to see if its too short or too long. i dropped the od all the way down, took off other pin that holds down the brass nut and the nut that holds down the lower shift cable to the shift bracket. i then lifted the lower shift cable off the bracket, then unscrewed the 2 achors screws then slid off the shift cable end. i then had my bro rotate the prop counter clockwise while i pushed the inner shift cable in til the prop locked and couldnt spin. i then measured the inner cable to the outter tube that has the brass nut and it measured exactly 1 in. according to the manual it needs to be exactly 1 and 3/8. no less. so i assume my the lower shift cable is bad?? 2 yrs ago i replaced the engine control, throttle cable and shift cable and it was working fine up til last year. can you guys assist me to the shift cable p/n i need?? i've been searching on marineengine and iboats but i'm not sure exactly which one i need. my outdrive s/n is 5243603.

thanks for your time help guys.

Back