Logo

Mariner 60 Now I canbt get the dang water pump base out

stu

"Thanks for all the help guys.

"Thanks for all the help guys. I got the lower unit off with a little more "convincing" from a cold chisel, some nylon felling wedges, and a 5 lb sledge. Now I can't get the dang base of the water pump out. I have the complete replacement kit so I don't care if I damage the pump. I just don't want to mess up the lower unit.

Any quick down and dirty ideas?"

I have a Seloc manual for it.

I have a Seloc manual for it. Not the best but it seems to show most of the stuff.

There is no flush screw - just the vent screw for when filling lube.

There is also no screw hole for pushing it up to get it started.

Is chiseling part of it out a bad idea?

So why are you replacing the b

So why are you replacing the base of the water pump?Is it because you think it is needed / somebody said to do it? Most times (99 out of a 100) a new impeller is all that is needed.

"Stuart,

The base can be to

"Stuart,

The base can be tough to pry loose, especially if someone used a hard gasket cement when putting it on.

It is made of plastic, so you can break it up if nesessary. It is a good idea to replace it while you have the lower off. The driveshaft seals should be replaced anyway.

There aren't any locking screws to remove, and there is no trick to removing the base.

Tony"

"Thanks Tony et al. With as m

"Thanks Tony et al. With as much hassle as I went through to get the lower unit off I probably would have wanted to put a new one in anyway. But when I opened up the pump it became a no brainer. Parts of the pump base were so worn they looked melted.

I am hoping that the next time I do maintenance on the lower unit it will be just a simple impeller swap.

Hope y'all don't mind my ignorance on some of this stuff. I have done lots of work on land lover type toys but boats are a bit of a new beast to me. My only other experience is with my little 1956 Evinrude 15. Funny, I either get a bunch of crap for having an old beater of a motor or people admire the fact that it runs as well as it does. It's kind of the moped of boat motors if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the reason I am a bit skittish on boat motors is that if you get stuck out on the ocean or in the bay on an outgoing tide, you can be toast in no time simply because you goofed on a repair. Hard to breathe in water."

Back