Logo

Manual tilt

Hy floater

1976 Johnson 85hp V4 Replaced shaft/lever, manual tilt detent release lever. Can't get detent to release when engine is in down position. Does anyone have diagram of properly attaching the release rod to the flat on the release lever? Have to remove the engine tilt position rod each time to tilt engine. No fun at all.

Find a motor the same as yours and check that out. Other wise there's parts break downs on this forum.

Yes....gonna get dropped in the lake. Sold my V4 motors, think it's same setup as the triples. Might have an older 50 horse back in the yard, but I think it has a different lock system. I think there is an adjustment on that rod or the arm that lifts it.....if not just give a little bend to part 113....it has a loop in it to grab the spring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201109-232222.jpg
    Screenshot_20201109-232222.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I found that literally too much grease on the tilt springs and linkages prevented it from working properly. Clean them all dry, no oil and see it it works. It's a system of relatively light springs that work against each other. It is adjusted by bending the long linkage to take up a tiny bit of the travel. But clean first.

Back