Logo

Machine shop quote

Jay1234

Regular Contributor
It just me or does $350 sound a little high to bore a stripped down Johnson V4 block?
Been many years since I had any of this work done but it kinda caught me off guard. I'm in the trades and I certainly appreciate the skill involved but just wanted a few other opinions from guys that do this work all the time.
Decent machine shops around here aren't plentiful and this place has a great reputation.

Thanks as always.

That does not sound bad at all.----Now I have seen a video of a machine that uses electronic position finder.----Centers the boring bar in seconds.-----Gets the job done quickly.----So instead of paying a skilled machinist you now have to help pay for this machine.----And you are right , shops that do this labor intensive work are disappearing like the TV / radio repair shop did 30 / 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks I'm going to drop it off there later. I was just curious.
It's sad. There's only 1 outboard repair shop left in my area as well. Another one just closed its doors after 70+ years in business.
Manual machinists are certainly very few and far between these days.

People who learned to repair stuff are aging and retiring.----Young folks do not want to learn ----" old time skills "----It seems when I try to explain how stuff works and how trouble shooting should be done i get ------" really what is he talking about " ---type of response.

Back