Logo

Lync and Sync not needed?

FiveStar

Contributing Member
90hp Mariner 3-cyl 1988

Hi guys, I want to do my carbs because the engine dies / shuts off when I trim up coming back in to the docks. This is a pain as you can imagine for trailering purposes. I don't think I'm over trimming here either. I'm not going up by much and definitely not exiting the trim range into the tilt. I can also see fuel coming out of the middle carb more so than the others so I think I have a stuck float perhaps?

The engine is really tuned in right now and idling great. Will I need to do a lync and sync procedure or can I get away with not doing one if I do my best to keep everything (other than the carbs) where it is? Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

Just bumping this up. Can someone please help with this? I'm assuming I don't need to lync and sync as long as I'm careful and put things back together the same way?

You allways want to check the throttle pickup whenever you pull the carbs. Max timing will not be affected but engine sync must allways be checked/adjusted!

Cheers guys, got it, yep don't have the skills yet or equipment (timing light etc.) for an engine sync.

I did however manage to service the carbs, damn they were dirty. Lots of scale and nasties.

When I got everything back together the roller now has a decent gap between it and the throttle cam. Before they were almost touching. This is due to the fact that the guy prior to me used liquid gasket between the block and the carbs. My new quicksilver gaskets changed the spacing.

I'm tempted to just pop the roller set screw, get rid of the gap, adjust idle screws and give it a whirl but I reckon I'll stop here and get over to a mechanic to check the sync and timing and what not. Already saved a bunch by doing the carbs which I wasnt sure I'd be able to do.

Take some of that money you saved and invest in a manual you can allways borrow a timing light from your local part store. Is there a line on the throttle cam? Normally you want that line to be center of the roller when it begins to open the butterflys. Make sure all three butterflys open the exact same time as the line passes center of the roller. Check that the throttle butterflys full open at WOT. Put it in forward gear engine off and give it WOT the butterflys should be fully open?

Cheers boys will do and thanks again. I'll keep you posted on what's happening.

Regarding lightly flooding carbs. This would mean that the carb float needles are allowing gas in when they shouldn't and then the cylinders flood and the engine stalls?

Back