Logo

Lower Units (and any other parts) of J88HP and J140HP Interchangeable/Compatible?

blockhead

I have an 1987 Johnson 88SPL (ID# J88MSLCUS) and a 1981 Johnson 140 (ID# J140TLCIM) so they both have a 20" long shaft ("L" in their ID#). Does anyone know if the lower units are interchangeable? I ask because the block on the 88HP has an irrepairable water leak but the 88HP appears so similar to the 140HP (power packs, flywheel, lower unit, etc.) that I want to keep it (the 88HP) for spare parts for the 140HP IF they use/can use the same parts. (Particularly the lower unit since it would be a fairly costly repair if the 140 ever needed a new lower unit). Any information on interchangeability/compatibility of parts between these two engines would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if anyone is interested, but as fate would have it, I ended up having to answer my own question when the lower unit on the 140 wouldn't go into any gear even though the shift rod was clearly moving as it should. I had nothing to lose so I removed the lower units from both engines. I only had to reshape the end of the shift rod that goes down from the upper unit down to the lower unit. I reshaped the end of the 88HP's shift rod (meaning I put it (the end of the shift rod) TIGHTLY in a bench vise and beat it with a sledgehammer, keeping the rest of the lower unit immobilized so as not to bend or otherwise harm any of the rest of it) until it had the same bend as the one on the lower unit that I removed from the 140HP. Once that was done, it (the 88HP's lower unit with newly shaped shift rod and with it's water pump still in place) all went back together onto the 140HP's upper unit. I took it out to the river, ran it up to full speed and all worked flawlessly (water pump and all). Saved me a bunch of money, just thought I 'd share that experience in case anyone wanted to know.

Back