Logo

Lower Unit Gear Slipping

krazymanwalker

This weekend, while I was launching the boat, I put it in reverse to get it off of the trailer and the engine sounded like it wasn't engaging and was grinding stuff up. So I still pushed it out to the dock and then drove it around to test it while I was able to. Forward would work with what seemed like the power not all there, but reverse would only work if it was just put in reverse on that low throttle. I got home and was looking at the lower unit to see what I would be needing to do the next day and noticed that the Carrier Bearing Housing behind the prop where there bolts connect to the outside cylinder of the Carrier Bearing Housing. I am unsure as to if the extra pressure of the prop pulling or pushing may have had something to do with it not going into gear due to the housing being snapped near the bolts maybe pushing it a little out of range for properly seating in the gears. That is my hope though, because the gears all look good from what I am able to see and it looks like I just need to replace the Carrier Bearing. Has anyone ever incountered this same issue and/or able to give me some advice of what to look at or what I might need to do. Also, while the boat was out of the water I put it in Reverse which the prop would lock up, Neutral would still free spool, and when in Forward the prop would turn with a little clanking noise as well.

20230812_170658_resized.jpg

20230812_170702_resized.jpg

20230812_170706_resized.jpg

20230813_173003_resized.jpg

20230813_173020_resized.jpg

20230813_173027_resized.jpg

20230813_181619_resized.jpg

20230813_181626_resized.jpg

20230813_181649_resized.jpg

20230813_181701_resized.jpg

Your unit had water in it and it froze I think.-----If so then it needs full tear down / inspection.----Check threads for the 2 studs in the housing..----Replace bearing housing.-----Install seal kit and re-assemble.

Your unit had water in it and it froze I think.-----If so then it needs full tear down / inspection.----Check threads for the 2 studs in the housing..----Replace bearing housing.-----Install seal kit and re-assemble.
You meaning full tear down by taking the lower unit off completely, taking the drive shaft out and pulling the rest of the gears out as well as pulling up the shift for the shifter? Someone else had suggested that to me but it is kinda odd due to the fact that I live in South Carolina where we may get two freeze days out of the year if that and it is summer time now. The seal kit looks like it is on the bearing housing unless you are speaking of further up the lower unit.

The only other way for that damage is if a tooth broke off a gear and jammed to push the bearing carrier out.----Just take it apart and inspect everything !!

Back