Logo

Low WOT RPMbs on 1988 Luhrs w454bs

hatrassr

New member
"New to thread- went searching

"New to thread- went searching for clues on the internet as to why my 1988 Luhrs 342 with twin 454's would not generate more than 2900 to 3000 rpms on our frist trip offshore. A little history- Boat was recently moved from freshwater enviroment at Smith Mtn. Lake (mountains of VA) to saltwater enviroment in Charleston, SC. Boat would generate 3800 rpm's at WOT (22mph) prior to moving on the lake but would not get beyond 3000rpm's (12 mph) on our first trip offshore. Boat was disassembled (helm & bridge) for transport south and I'm wondering if there is a way to check and make sure that throttle cables were properly adjusted on reassembly to make sure that throttles are opening fully at WOT. Engines have 150 original hours on them (wasn't used much by prior owner) hasen't had a tune up in several years and has the original carbs and distributors as the boat has always preformed well in the lake enviroment. Any suggestions as to which direction to go in to get her back to prior preformance levels would be much appreciated.
Thanks-
Hatrassr"
 
"[b]" hasen't had a tu

"" hasen't had a tune up in several years and has the original carbs"

Ayuh,.......

I guess a Full,+ Complete Tune Up is where I'd start.............."
 
".."boat has always prefor

".."boat has always preformed well in the lake enviroment"

Like hell! That thing was a slug before as well. I third the tune up suggestion.

Jeff

PS: Beautiful place, that Smith Mnt Lake. Kinda small for a big boat, though."
 
Thanks for the response guy&#3

Thanks for the response guy's - tune up is under way this week - and FastJeff your right - that boat is s-l-o-w-!!!!! Those big new sport fishing boats blow by us out there like we're out of gear or something. I like the no wake zones cause we're running along at the same speed as everyone else! :>)
Mike Austin
 
I just found my advance spring

I just found my advance springs in both distributors had corroded and rusted till they crumbled apart. Neither engine could get past 3000 RPm without them. Even thogh they idled and ran fairlly good at 2500 rpm. See my other msg for where to get parts for the distributors.
 
"I just bought an 87 Carver wi

"I just bought an 87 Carver with 454's. It is hard starting and seems to flood easily. I want to do a tune up on it but don't know timming. I haven't pulled Distributor cap, so don't know if it has points or electronic ignition. Can you advise?"
 
Back
Top