Logo

Looking for info on an older 9.9 Mercury

Oldsaltydog

Regular Contributor
Serial number of this motor is 0B390028. I've spent hours searching and the only sites that recognize that serial number just take me to a parts catalog. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a 9.9 2 stroke that appears to have been made specifically to use remote start, steering and shift/throttle. I'm looking to convert it to standard tiller motor. It does have a tiller handle with a kill switch in the end. The end of the shaft in the tiller has the grooves to connect cables, but I don't have them. I see no place on the motor where a start button can be attached.

So plug the # into this site's parts fiche. Then go to tiller shift section. Everything you need is there. The start button goes on the tiller handle a whole kit to make that conversion.

I have no idea what you found, but there's no kit for the conversion. "parts fiche"? The kill switch goes on the tiller handle. I have that. The start switch on most was on the face of the bottom cowling. Mine doesn't have a place for it. If you're talking about an aftermarket tiller handle, that costs more than the motor is worth. The tiller handle is made to accept cables that would then go to the shift and throttle controls. When I shop for them, it tells me what year models they fit. There are different lengths. I don't know where you found a conversion kit, and I have absolutely what/where the "parts fiche" is. If you found something, please share it with me, but please don't treat me like I'm a child or an idiot. I'm a 63 year old man, and I've had, rebuilt and repaired outboard motors all my life. I've never had a Mercury before, and I'm pretty frustrated that I can not find any information on this motor by simply typing in the serial number somewhere. OMC and Yamaha's are my brands of choice. Never had a problem deciphering a serial number on them and finding out exactly what I'm dealing with.

Back