Logo

Looking for Electric Starting Kit - Evinrude 1968 18hp 18802a

LisaGleason

Hello,

My dad is looking for an Electric Starting Kit - Evinrude 1968 18hp Model 18802a.

Does anyone know where we can get this OR get a full list of the parts with the part numbers so we can order them individually?

Picture attached.

Thank you very much.
Frank and Lisa

Ordering new parts would be expensive.-----Look them up on this site ----1972 accessories.------A donor / parts motor is the best option.-----Your location?

That kit works.-----It is a beautiful thing , the simplicity , interchangeability of parts on these 22 cubic inch motors.

Yes the 22 cu in can produce up to 25 HP. I have a few electric starting kits but they are for the older motors using external solenoid box.

Yes, I have converted to a similar kit as Marine Engine provides, but it takes some patience, practice, and perseverance.

What you really need is the starter and the bracket.------Wires ,and push buttons are easy to adapt.----The solenoid that would work on that was used for about 50 years.----Or any solenoid from a Mercury , Johnson . Evinrude , Yamaha , Honda can be used.-----My self I could not think of buying a new kit.----A donor motor for less than $200 is what I would do.

I don't believe they are hard to find. I have 3 of them here that were given to me, 2 are froze from rust. Water got in the carburator. It's sad that they were just thrown out on the ground by someone. These are such great motors and will run for decades yet. Parts are readily available and cheap too. Do you for 1 minute believe that a new Yamaha from today, will still be running and have all parts available, in 2077? Ha!

Yes, I have converted to a similar kit as Marine Engine provides, but it takes some patience, practice, and perseverance.
Did you use any YouTube videos to help? Dad is happy to pay the $$ for the electric start kit and he’s really good with mechanics … just doesn’t want to get halfway through the install and find out it won’t work on his model and not be able to return it.

Will these parts work? Are you tiller handle motor? Then add small size solenoid and push button switch, battery cables and it's an electric start. Make sure start in neutral or in gear at idle only. A safety switch can be worked in too so a careless operator will not pitch himself or another out of the boat. The marine solenoids need to have the correct small post become grounded in order to trigger. That's called a neutral safety switch. Pictured also is a remote choke....if you are console operation.

IMG_20230527_150642259_HDR_compress95.jpg

IMG_20230527_150719239_HDR_compress25.jpg

Back