Logo

Johnson Control Unit

P

Paul Zimmerman

" I have a 92 90HP Johnson and

" I have a 92 90HP Johnson and need to replace the shift and throttle cables. It is a side mount unit, which I have off. I have removed all visible screws and can not get the unit to separate. I was given advice that i did not need to remove the shift/Throttle handle to dissasemble. I can sort of get one side to coming apart, but then the other side close up pretty tight. It is a black box. Thx- PZ "

" Paul.... Pertaining to the c

" Paul.... Pertaining to the control handle, look at the opposite side of the box and you will probably see a allen screw that retains the control handle. Remove that screw, then temporarily screw in a long screw into those threads so that you can tap the handle loose. After removing that temporary screw and the handle, the box should come apart.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Joe
Thank you very much. Yo

Joe
Thank you very much. Your information was a big help.
Paul

" Joe, thanks again for the in

" Joe, thanks again for the info. Another problem. Got the box apart, the large main nylon gear has broken teeth and so does the nylon gear that operates the shift cable. Can replacement gears be purchased or will I need to get another control box?
Thanks, Paul "

"There are different type OMC

"There are different type OMC control boxes and although they look similar, the components will not interchange. If you can get pictures to me that can be easily viewed, fine. If not, I can take pictures of what I have and get them to you. Click on my name above to reveal my e-mail address.

Joe
"

Back