Logo

Johnson 70 VRO J70TLCCA Start sequence

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I just bought a Johnson 70 VRO and the previous owner has no manuals etc. He said that to start it, you hold the key in a pre start position and then start it. Is this correct and does anyone have any other info on it. I intend to check that the warning horn operates as soon as I install it on the boat. It also comes with a Tacho and trim gauge but no wiring diagram. Any body able to help me with that one? Thanks for any info.

Step # 1 is to determine if this is the original VRO unit or an updated one with a warning circuit ( any wires coming from the VRO ? )------Also determine if the VRO is in fact still in use or is it bypassed.------------If it is still in use you need to determine if it is working as it should.----------------To start you push the key in while cranking the motor over.

Thanks for the reply. What does pushing the key in do and is there a choke system on the remote? Any idea where I can get a genuine manual for it? The oil tank is still in use on it and has been running on his boat for some time with what I believe to be the original VRO unit.

Pushing the key in while cranking operates the electric primer / choke system.-------When there is pressure on the primer system it injects fuel straight into the intake manifold.--There are no choke flappers.

Last edited:
Back