Logo

Johnson 70 HP 2 stroke engine stopes while putting in gear

Shanab

Johnson 70 HP engine was not using from last few years, recently we started working on it, everything seems fine , engine starts fine but its stopping itself while engaging gear , and there is a minor leak from fuel pump . Is it happening because of the fuel pump or ?. Please suggest me what action should I take to fix it.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Shanab

Model # of your motor ?----When an engine is idling it is producing just enough power to spin all the moving parts.-----When you add the load of the prop it should slow a bit and keep running with the added load.-----So something is wrong.----Start with a compression test.----Post the numbers here.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on each lead ?----Is fuel fresh ?-----Water pump serviced ?----Overheat horn tested ?-----Mixing fuel at 50:1 ?

There was no label or something for year, but I think it is 2000 year. When the engine is in idle its producing enough power and we getting more than 4000n rpm on it while idle. We replaced the water pump , new spark plugs . Will check the compression test later and I will post here. The fuel is new and there is no sign of over heating, I have a video of the engine running but I cant upload it because the size of file. I will let you the other details as soon as possible as you asked . Thank you for your valuable reply.

Sorry-----Perhaps you are not aware that it will easily run to 4000 RPM in neutral.----And it will do that running on 2 of 3 cylinders.----Good luck with the trouble shooting and repairs.

Sorry-----Perhaps you are not aware that it will easily run to 4000 RPM in neutral.----And it will do that running on 2 of 3 cylinders.----Good luck with the trouble shooting and repairs.
I just tried with the rod where connected on carbs. Still the issue remains.

Model # of your motor ?----When an engine is idling it is producing just enough power to spin all the moving parts.-----When you add the load of the prop it should slow a bit and keep running with the added load.-----So something is wrong.----Start with a compression test.----Post the numbers here.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on each lead ?----Is fuel fresh ,?-----Water pump serviced ?----Overheat horn tested ?-----Mixing fuel at 50:1 ?
I did the compression test I got 125 to 130 on each cylinder. Fuel is fresh. new spark plugs, water pump also new. No sign of over heat.

Hello everyone, Thanks to all , We have solved the issue, the fault was with the fuel pump, we replaced the pump and tried and its working fine now. Once again thanks to the members .

Back