Logo

Johnson 200HP 2-Stroke Engine Leaking 2-Stroke Oil

Bostonbean1313

I have been reading countless forum threads about this topic and appreciate everyone that has participated in those forums so we all can try to learn. This will most likely sound like im beating a dead horse but Im hoping to get help for my current situation. I bought the SELOC repair manual, but still am a pretty inexperienced so it is a little difficult to comprehend. Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing some comments.

I bought a Stratos with a 1990 2-stroke Johnson 200HP engine (VJ200SLEID). It has 1.5 year old impeller and a new VRO system installed last year. I took it in to the mechanic to have it checked out and he just told me its an old engine and run it until it dies (not what id like to hear). He said the impellar looked good and everything looked clean. He replaced the thermostats as well. One side of the cylinders wasnt getting to temp at idle in the driveway but ran fine on lake.

I took it out to a large lake and was running fine for most of the day. I was making a run back to the dock with open throttle and began to hear an intermittent “ding” sounds. The more throttle i gave the “ding” became constant. When i slowed down the “ding” would sound intermittently. I was able to crawl at low speed without the “ding” and made it back in. With my inexperience i thought it might be low oil or gas but they seemed fine after fishing. When I got back home i noticed that some 2-stroke oil (not gear case) oil was leaking from a weep hole on the mid section of the motor. Looks like around the seal as well. I will attach pictures.

Some posts say its fine to see the oil out of the weep hole as it can be unburned fuel and some people say pull the lower unit and replace some seals. Im nervous to drop the lower unit but will do it if its worth it. In my case, where would you start to troubleshoot if its a concern? Again, I know its been talked about but it would be greatly appreciated to get some further info on this old engine. I dont want to have to put the engine down and be boatless. Much appreciated!

thumbnail

thumbnail
thumbnail

Back