Logo

Johnson 1990 30HP Losing Power, Sometimes Stalling

SomeRandomDude

I have a 1990 Johnson 30HP outboard two-stroke engine. I have been experiencing some problems with it lately and any advice or even just suggestions to help will be greatly appreciated. I will describe the problem best I can below.

It starts up pretty well and runs fine while going anything but planing speed <3000 RPM. The problem happenes usually while going full (4000RPM) or sometimes while going a little less than full. One of two similar things happens:

1) It will lose power and go down to about 1000 RPM, then go back up, then lose it, then go back up, then lose it and stall. It starts up fine and this problem sometimes comes back, or sometimes doesn't happen again.

2) Or it will lose power down to anything from 1000-2500 RPM and go back up then down and up and repeat that but without stalling. I usually cut the engine at this point and try restarting, and as I said above it may or may not happen again after the restart.

Like I said twice above, this doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes, whice makes this problem harder to fix for any mechanic i've talked to. Ran it for 2 hours or so yesterday and it was fine. The day before, #2 above happened.

More details:
-Spark plugs 1 or 2 years old but appear fine
-Cooling system is working fine
-Throttle is an OMC one (probably don't need to know that but maybe)

That's all the details I can really think of.

Again, any details or suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks,
SRD

Last edited:
Sounds like a fuel problem. Have you cleaned the carbs or checked the fuel pump? Try pumping the primer bulb while at wot and see if will run. If so, then it's probably the fuel pump or carb jets.

Back