Logo

Installing Lower Unit seating issue

MassBoater

Hi all,
I have a 1968 6HP Johnson and I did a full water pump replacement since it was original. I had a little issue with getting the lower end out but and some wiggling it came out. Replaced the water pump and now I’m struggling to get it back in. I’ve watched some YouTube videos on it but still am struggling, any pointers? The pictures are about as far as itll seat. I’ve moved the power head trying to get it aligned, rotated the pin on the shaft thinking that wasn’t aligned. No luck yet, thanks for helping!

Attachments

• C1BBE031-2A9C-41B7-BCEB-A1B6FD8F56CB.jpeg
    C1BBE031-2A9C-41B7-BCEB-A1B6FD8F56CB.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 26C0B51B-E82D-4615-9B0B-5222542723F9.jpeg
    26C0B51B-E82D-4615-9B0B-5222542723F9.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 13
You have to assemble the shift rod by lining up the notch before you put bolt in.-----Upper rod all the way down.-----Lower rod all the way up to do that.---Line up water tube. and guide it into the pump.-------Then line up the pin that drives the mechanical seal.---Bolt up the lower unit.--Install power head.

Those complete pumps are a step backwards. Much better are the OEM design.....what you just removed. I have been working on these where these aftermarket "improved" design pumps are shot....I go back to OEM. Why?.....Just like many other "improvements"......they are "engineered" to fail. I'm quite sure Racer will agree with me here.
You need to align crank seal pin with notch in the exhaust, (center leg) housing. That upper shift rod has to be all the way down so you can get lower shift rod inserted, then put in the cap screw/bolt.....carefully not to hurt the threads.....the notch must be lined up perfectly or you will take out the threads.

Last edited:
The real problem was in the way you took it apart. But fear not, it will go back together. We can assume you didn't shear off the pin through the top end of the drive shaft, right?

1. OK, rotate the drive shaft so the mentioned pin is crossways to the lower unit. In other words, at 90 degrees to the center line of the prop shaft. DO NOT rotate the drive shaft again till finished.

2. Remove the spark plugs.

3. Pull up on the shift rod (from gearcase) till it clicks into forward gear. Put shifter handle in reverse position.

4. Now install the lower unit as you have been trying to do. You probably will have to slowly rotate the flywheel to align the drive shaft /crankshaft splines. It should slip together when aligned. Of course you will have to pause to install the shift rod connector screw.

Are we having fun yet?

Thank you guys lending a hand! Making sure the pin on the top of the drive shaft was at a T, pulling up the shifting pin, removing the screw and moving the shifting level in the R direction made all of the difference! Thanks again!

Back