Logo

how do you reset the oil change light?

keakar

Contributing Member
I have the correct owners manual for my 2014 40hp Nissan 4 stroke outboard (Tohatsu_MFS40A_50A_003-11105-0) and on page #36 in there, it tells me to reset the oil change warning light I need to:

- turn key to on position
- after the beep, disconnect lanyard
- within 5-10 seconds, pull out on the red knob (lanyard button)
- wait 5-10 seconds and pull out on the lanyard button and release

and it is supposed to beep 3 times and reset but IT DOES NOT BEEP OR RESET.

I have repeated this procedure ten times already and if that is the procedure then my motor or tach is broken because it is not resetting s this must not be the correct procedure to reset it.

can anyone tell me the real way to reset it because the way in the owners manual doesn't work.

That is the correct way. You must pop the clip within 1 second of the initial beep, or it won't take effect. Then 5 secs to first 1/2-second pull, 5 more seconds to second 1/2-second pull. It that doesn't work, see your dealer.

thanks, there must be an issue then. it is definitely the oil change warning light because it flashes once then 9 seconds and flashes again.

I just brought it to the shop and they couldnt reset it either, so i left it there and they are going to look at it and see what is wrong.

I trust you more then i trust them so can you tell me if it is supposed to trigger the oil change warning light at the 20 hour break in or whatever it is?

they said, as far as they knew?(which I dont think is a lot), it doesnt have a break in period oil change light for the first oil change so they said it is not supposed to go off at all until it hits100 hours. does that sound correct? this is a brand new motor with "maybe" 30 hours on it

AFAIK, it is a 100-hour timer. Just as some cars have a 5,000 mile service reminder. I have not heard of a shorter, "break-in" timer. If the only lamp coming on (in a 10-second cycle of 1 on 9 off) is the #1 oil lamp, Is "should" mean that 100 hours has passed since reset. If that is malfunctioning, you may have a malfunctioning ECU (computer).

thanks, that clears that part up at least. suzuki will go off after 20 or 30 hours for the "break-in" oil change and i think evinrude does too so maybe that's why I had that thought in mind along with the timing of when this light started going off.

well I haven't got an exact hour meter on it so I can be 100% certain, but its definitely has absolutely less then 50 hours and im guessing its only about 25-30 total hours on the motor at best.

I have only used the motor about 12-15 times after the initial break in period since I bought it.

but even assuming i somehow lost track and somehow i did manage to reach 100 hours already, its still not resetting so I guess there is a real problem there

thanks for your help with this

will do,

the local shop didn't have the right plugs to connect to their computer so they have to order those first just to be able to hook up to the engine and see what it says

I was told to allow maybe a week just for that to happen but they would try to get to it sooner thinking it might just be a bad sensor or something

Last edited:
update:

ok the manual instructions are incorrect, the service manager got back from vacation today and reset it in 2 seconds.

the correct reset procure is:

- turn key to on position
- after the beep, instantly disconnect lanyard
- wait 5-10 seconds, pull out an instantly release the red knob (lanyard button) in a snap motion (do not pull out and then let go as the manual says or it wont work)
- wait 5-10 seconds, pull out an instantly release the red knob (lanyard button) in a snap motion (do not pull out and then let go as the manual says or it wont work)
- it then beeps 3 times and resets the oil change light for another 100 hours

basically, if it takes more then an instant for the lanyard switch to snap back, then the computer will not recognize the reset

also step 3 is different then the manual says, you are waiting 5-10 seconds to pull the button and not puling the button "within" 5-10 seconds as the manual incorrectly says to do.

as to me running the motor a shorter time then 100 hours, they had no answer but the service manager guessed maybe the ECM already had some recorded hours on it from the factory but they werent able to hook up the computer to say for sure since the wiring plug they ordered still hadn't come in yet.

Last edited:
Yes, it must be a "pop" of the switch.
My remote hour meter clicks away whenever the key is on, so even if not running, but just on, the hours accumulate. I would think the ECU timer would be more sophisticated.

I did leave the key on overnight one time so that's a good 18-20 hours worth right there and I realized I wasn't counting the 30-45 minutes flushing the motor when I get home so when you add it all up, I can count to around 60-70 hours worth and i'll assume my count was just off, but damn I hit 100 hours fast.

I think my battery is going bad now. I went out today and it runs at 14v as it should but when I turn the engine off and turn the key on the battery shows 12.6v but if i wait 5 minutes and turn it back on, it shows 12.2 and after starting its a 11.5 or something for a second or two before it jumps back up from the engine charging it. I think the battery is about 3 years old

so am I worried about nothing, or should I pay close attention to my battery voltages from now on?

is the battery ok as long as it reads 12.0v or better?

That batt has seen better days. Time for new. Of course, you could try "equalizing" it to see if that sheds some sulphation.

ok, thanks

its hard to know since I saw several opinions on google saying that as long as it is over 12.0v then is ok, but equally as may opinions that it should hold at 1.5v or its getting weak so I want sure.

last question:

the book on motor calls for 800 CCA battery but isnt that over kill for such a small motor? the one I have been using for it, and working fine for a whole year now, is a 625 CCA battery so do I really need to by an 800 CCA battery for a 40HP motor or will anther 625 CCA battery be ok? I would have to drive 90 minutes to go get the 800 CCA battery but there are 625 CCA batteries right down the street from me.

Last edited:
The reason the factory wants an 850 CCA battery is so that the voltage stays high enough for proper initialization of the ECU while cranking. A smaller battery will still crank OK, but the voltage will drop during cranking, and the computer may not initialize correctly. Likewise, if it's very cold (winter fishing), the specs call for a 1000-amp battery, because batteries don't deliver the amps as well when cold, and the oils are more viscous in cold weather, causing the voltage to drop more during cranking. A good group-27 starting battery should be adequate; few, if any group-24 batteries will be adequate. Better yet would be a group-31 start battery.

ok, thanks

I will replace it with a group 27 battery then, but that means that now I have to remove and redo the battery mounting brackets inside the seat storage box, it was custom built to fit the 24 group battery box.

turns out I found a 24 series battery with 1000 mca at napa, its the bat8304 marine starting battery with 1000 mca and 800 cca @ 0 degrees temperature

it was $130 but at least I didnt have to rearrange everything to fit bigger battery

Back