Logo

How can such a simple outboard cause me so much grief ('61 Evinrude 5.5)

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
I'm not one to give up often but I may just have to call "uncle" on this one.

Have been fighting to get this thing tuned but just don't seem to be getting anywhere...and now, while I'm on my knees (figuratively) I shift it into FWD while running and it makes a sudden noise, turns off and now won't start. It turns over with 2x the amount of resistance, it wants to start but I'm assuming that there is resistance somewhere that prevents it from starting. Prop still turns while in FWD and REV and neutrals spins fine. What have I likely broken aside from my shoulder trying to restart it?

I often say that these older motors need a complete teardown / inspection before spending any coins.---Could be coils binding on the flywheel.---Could be the shock absorber under water pump binding.----Did I say that this motor sounded awful on an earlier thread.------I am 3 hrs away from you.----So hard to look over your shoulder to see what goes on !

First gut instinct is impeller, but you said it is fine in neutral. How does the prop spin when in neutral and engine off? Can drop the bottom half of gearcase off and check for broken parts i guess. Looks like the same basic thing as my 6hp was. It is pumping water just fine?

P.S. If when you pull it apart and shock absorber is bad like racer said there is a few used ones on ebay now. One for $45. But as suggested give the old girla good checkup first.

Last edited:
I often say that these older motors need a complete teardown / inspection before spending any coins.---Could be coils binding on the flywheel.---Could be the shock absorber under water pump binding.----Did I say that this motor sounded awful on an earlier thread.------I am 3 hrs away from you.----So hard to look over your shoulder to see what goes on !

No kidding! Where is home for you? Yep, time to pull it back apart and inspect. Until that moment, the one thing it DID do well was start. Now, I can't even have that little bit of satisfaction.

Impeller is smooth as can be. Shifter behavior hasnt' really changed. Yeah, could be shock absorber...just so happens that I have an extra in hand which was destined for 5.5 #2 but that project is on hold pending securing a proper shifter handle...maybe I just got one :-(

First gut instinct is impeller, but you said it is fine in neutral. How does the prop spin when in neutral and engine off? Can drop the bottom half of gearcase off and check for broken parts i guess. Looks like the same basic thing as my 6hp was. It is pumping water just fine?

P.S. If when you pull it apart and shock absorber is bad like racer said there is a few used ones on ebay now. One for $45. But as suggested give the old girla good checkup first.

yep, water pump chugging away without issue.

I'm not a big fan of those shock absorbers, either. They scrapped 'em by 65 or 66 I think. So they were used only on the real early 6 hp.

Last edited:
Thanks, Racer. I do LOVE my 65 Fisherman.....nearly 4000 hrs. use....Dad bought it new. Still runs like a champ.....wouldn't trade it for a brand new Yamaha.....no way.....no way! It's right there, behind "Farmer" in my avatar. It will outlive me, for certain.

Last edited:
Back