Logo

Honda 2006 2hp problem cutting out

robjwilkins

Hi,
I have a small Honda 2006 4stroke 2hp outboard. Its a few years old (I inherited it when purchasing a boat). The engine was serviced and running fine last year, but I have had problems with it this year. It will briefly start, then cuts out after 2-3 seconds. It only starts with the choke fully out, and if the choke is pushed in at all it will not spark. It doesn't appear to be a particularly complex engine, so I was hoping to be able to try and learn a bit more about how it works (and save some cash) by fixing this problem myself.

The engine had been run in salt water last year, but was run through with fresh water at the end of last season. I have tried disconnecting the kill switch rule that out as a cause. The engine does start and appears to run for 2 or 3 seconds, but then cuts out. It will only start with the choke fully out. The engine has plenty of fuel in the tank and has oil in it.

I have been unable to find a manual for the engine online, so I'm not too sure exactly how it fits together and I don't have the knowledge of engines to figure out the cause. So I'm looking for some advice as to what the most likely cause for this problem might be, and recommendation as to whether its something I might be able to fix myself, or should I just take it back to a professional?

thanks for your help.

Back