Logo

Honda 2004 BF225hp running rough

Seachaser

Regular Contributor
My 2004 BF225hp Honda outboard is running a little rough.

A little history; Since I've done lot of trolling and had black soot at the exhaust output, so last year I decided to run with Yama Decarb mix. I did this end of last season on the day that I hauled the boat for the season. I had ran the decarb mix at the dock for 30 minutes. Then decided to run underway. Ran up to ~3,000 rpms and the motor bogged down and so then I limped back to the dock at 2000rpm. Like I say It was the haul out day so just hauled it did my year end maintenance and prep to deal with it this coming season.

Now, this new season it would not turn over at all. I decided to clean up the VST. So I replaced all Filters, O-rings etc. I found the fuel line connection from the rail was all crappy and the O-ring deteriorated, the High Pressure pump Filter also some percentage of blockage. So I had my smoking guns. Also, I had my Fuel injectors sent out to be serviced, diagnostic printout showed 5%-10% blockage and bad spray pattern. All clean now.

Now put it all back together, engine started right up. But now its runs I'll say a little rough. The low idle RPMs sometimes not consistently steady RPMs. Since I am just in the back yard on Muffs/Hose I did not run it too high on the RPMs for any length of time. When I run quickly 2000 to 3000 it runs but you can hear a faint Putt-Putt but still maintaining the higher RPMs.

I do have a OBD software tool it does show that the engine had a "past" O2 Heater Failure.

Last year I delt with the fuel rail Mesh/Filter problem which caused the gas pressure to exceeded the 41-48 Psi. And was sending the error code "1". But That has since been corrected and I'm assume this is the left over fault? I did clear that fault out last year. Maybe new O2 sensor error again?

Note 1: The cover if the VST when removed had O-ring with gasket sealer material. When I put back with new O-ring I did not put any gasket sealer material with it because the shop manual did not indicate to do so. Should I have added gasket material?
Note 2: Another observation, the exhaust now is very clean "not smokey". As I understand if its smokey that's a hint of the o2 Sensor malfunction?
Note 3: The current 02 sensor was installed June 2015, and new upgraded exhaust pipes years ago.
Note 4: I have run spare 6 gallon fuel tank bypassing Low Press and water Filters, with no change.

Things to do:

1. Clear error and see if problem changes or error comes back. Question: Would the old error confuse the ECM and cause this rough running situation?

Looking for some troubleshooting advice, thanks!

Attachments

• HondaFilter2.jpg
    HondaFilter2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 21
  • HondaDiag2.jpg
    HondaDiag2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 22
Back