Logo

Honda 1999 9.9 hp fuel/carb issue

Lilly

I have a 1999 Honda 9.9 that has run over 150 hrs flawlessly as a trolling motor since purchased. Recenltly I took it off one boat and transported it 10 hrs into Canada to be used on a 14 ft boat. Yes, it was transported w/correct side up. The motor would start and run when the choke is pulled on then off then on then off repeatedly. It will also run full throttle but not idle or run when throttled back to less than 1/2 throttle. It would stall out. I noticed a small amount of fuel on the surface of the water but can't figure out where its coming from (possibly exhaust). What has gone wrong with the carb. Is this a stuck float?

Thanks for the help.:)

Re: Honda 9.9 fuel/carb issue

I would check the float on the carb/also needle valve may be sticking. Last time I had a carb problem w/a Honda, turned out the float was filling w/gas and flooding the engine.

Re: Honda 9.9 fuel/carb issue

I had lots of problems with my 9.9, electric start/choke last year, could not get it idle. Which meant I could not shift gears. Mine is on a sailboat, in a well, and therefore there was no safe way to service the carb. When we got it hauled and the engine pulled, the mechanic found the idle riser tube was plugged. Easy to fix. I am adding a new fuel filter ahead of the engine this year. I can't get to the one on the engine with it in the water with the cowl on.

Back