Logo

Help!! New to Westerbeke, NOW Having excess fuel problem- is anyone familiar with M-40 Injectors??

wobbleman

My customer wanted to have the injectors tested on his m-40 and also have me set the valves. which we took care of.

Then we took her out-( which was BTW the most fun I've had in quite a while- I may just get hooked on this sailing thing!).

We motored for a little while ,going out the channel , sailed by Coney Island and ran the motor coming in the channel again.

But my guy reports this morning that he barely managed to get it started,that it ran rough, smoked excessively and there's fuel coming out with the exhaust.

Now, we just had the injectors serviced, and one had to be repaired, though it wasn't at a marine diesel shop . Usually I'd assume they must know what they were doing. But one thing give me pause to wonder.

When I went to re-install the injectors, I noticed that 3 of the aluminum washers that sit on top of the injector bodies were loose, so loose I could easily rotate them, though not pull them off. In our parts book it shows a solid washer, but ours had 2 holes in them.

Looking at the diagram of the injector , I surmised that one these holes had to line up with the return hole coming out of the injector- otherwise no return fuel could get to the return nipple. So I used the back end of a small drill to line the holes up, marked them with a sharpie, and did my best to not disturb anything as I assembled the return lines.

So my question is, #1: Shouldn't all of the injectors have come back from the shop with the washers fixed in place with holes in the right place ?

I tried my best to keep them in the place, but if they slipped and blocked the return it could would cause problems including excess fuel.

Question#2: If so, do I need to get new washers and have them pressed on? Other solutions?

The only other thing I can think of is the injectors were not properly serviced.

The only other thing we did is adjust the valves. In 40+ years of being a semi professional mechanic ( also Plumber/Electrician/Carpenter/Pilot/Woodsman/Farmer) I've done plenty of manual valve adjustments on a variety of old vehicles,gas and diesel I've never had this many problems!

I don't mind so much having to out all that way to work for free as long as I get sailing lesson #2.

But it’s frustrating , embarrassing and it's hurts my rep as a mechanic. Plus, If I don't get this figured out soon I'm gonna have to wear this T-shirt to all my jobs:
Professional t.jpg

My customer wanted to have the injectors tested on his m-40 and also have me set the valves. which we took care of.

Then we took her out-( which was BTW the most fun I've had in quite a while- I may just get hooked on this sailing thing!).

We motored for a little while ,going out the channel , sailed by Coney Island and ran the motor coming in the channel again.

But my guy reports this morning that he barely managed to get it started,that it ran rough, smoked excessively and there's fuel coming out with the exhaust.

Now, we just had the injectors serviced, and one had to be repaired, though it wasn't at a marine diesel shop . Usually I'd assume they must know what they were doing. But one thing give me pause to wonder.

When I went to re-install the injectors, I noticed that 3 of the aluminum washers that sit on top of the injector bodies were loose, so loose I could easily rotate them, though not pull them off. In our parts book it shows a solid washer, but ours had 2 holes in them.

Looking at the diagram of the injector , I surmised that one these holes had to line up with the return hole coming out of the injector- otherwise no return fuel could get to the return nipple. So I used the back end of a small drill to line the holes up, marked them with a sharpie, and did my best to not disturb anything as I assembled the return lines.

So my question is, #1: Shouldn't all of the injectors have come back from the shop with the washers fixed in place with holes in the right place ?

I tried my best to keep them in the place, but if they slipped and blocked the return it could would cause problems including excess fuel.

Question#2: If so, do I need to get new washers and have them pressed on? Other solutions?

The only other thing I can think of is the injectors were not properly serviced.

The only other thing we did is adjust the valves. In 40+ years of being a semi professional mechanic ( also Plumber/Electrician/Carpenter/Pilot/Woodsman/Farmer) I've done plenty of manual valve adjustments on a variety of old vehicles,gas and diesel I've never had this many problems!

I don't mind so much having to out all that way to work for free as long as I get sailing lesson #2.

But it’s frustrating , embarrassing and it's hurts my rep as a mechanic. Plus, If I don't get this figured out soon I'm gonna have to wear this T-shirt to all my jobs:
View attachment 27042
I'm about to send my injectors out to Atlantic Fuel Injector in Maine for service. I have the Two Tiny Hole washers from Westerbeke and I'm sending them with the injectors. As you note, these allow the return and are definitely active on all four injectors (far as I know). The washer on Top (without holes) simply is the washer before the top nut. I am particularly interested in the condition of the (I think, aluminum) washers with the two holes since Weeping or Seeping out of the injector body through a corrupted washer seems like a possible spot for a significant leak. Please let me know how your job finished? Use my personal email if possible. Doug Day, maine. [email protected]

Back