Logo

Help Johnson 15 overheating on flusher

jdkline

Regular Contributor
" My Johnson 15 has gotten a l

" My Johnson 15 has gotten a little too hot a couple of times on the flusher. When I turn the water hose on more towards full blast, the problem seems to correct itself. This leads me to believe that when there is less water to the flusher, it's not getting enough water to cool itself, even though water is coming out of the telltale quite strongly. What do you all think? Bad thermostat? More serious problems? Do I just need to keep the water on full blast? Also, the engine runs well from idle all the way to WOT, and compression is 91 on #1 and 89 on #2. Thanks for any help.
J.D. "

Sounds like you are forcing t

Sounds like you are forcing the water in to keep it running cool. Try running it in a barrel and not on the flusher.

" If the "pee-hole" is

" If the "pee-hole" is peeing, water is running through the engine, if the "peeing" is spotty, or non-existant, there is an issue with the flusher setup or cooling system in the outboard. Those flushers don't allways work so hot with the smaller outboards, I allways run my Johnson 25 in a bucket to be safe. There is some funny way of plugging holes on the lower unit my manual describes for using a flush attachment... why bother, the bucket works great.

Jon "

" Tried it in a barrel, and it

" Tried it in a barrel, and it did not overheat. Very interesting though, even on the flusher, there was always water coming out the pee hole, quite forcefully, but it was pretty hot. Not quite scalding, but warmer than usual. I'm not going to be picky about it. I just don't want to miss important warning signs of a bigger problem. "

I have a 1974 15 HP Sea Horse

I have a 1974 15 HP Sea Horse that I am looking at buying. I just started it up yesterday to check it out and it seemed to be spitting out the Pee hole and not a steady stream. I have it in a large barrel with plenty of water. Should it be throwing out a steady stream of water from the pee hole at idle or what. Any Ideas?

Jim B.

Back