Logo

Grease in gear case

Muggss

I have bought a 1971, 9.5hp. I wanted to change the gear case oil. I took both screws out to drain it. Nothing. It looked like a thick grease was inside, no oil. Is this because there is a leak and someone put grease inside so it would not leak? The motor has run for about eight hours, that I know of, in this condition. I need to know what would be the best thing for me to do in this situation. The motor starts and runs great. What would be the best way to clean it out. Thanks for your time.

It may be the wrong gear oil in there: car gear oil requires aeration which outboards dont provide.
I dont know how you can get it out without so much strong solvent you would ruin the seals.
If it was leaking there would of being something that would be watery or the greasey stuff would be more runny than what you say
You probably need to open it up to get it out. Looks like you can split the gearcase open on that model so much easier to clean up.

The lower unit on these is often neglected and then becomes a " weak link "--------Pull it apart and inspect, especially the bearing area just above the pinion gear. Also the bearing area on the driveshaft just above the pinion.----------The bearings were designed to work properly with oil in the unit and they do not work properly with grease.

I did this trick years ago when I had the same prob. Went and got some kerosene and got as much as I could in the g/c. Then started it up and let it idle for 5 min. Drained it and did it again for 5 min. This cleaned all the grease out of it. Filled it with oil and I was done. Never had a prob.

Back