Logo

Gear lube in hull

Hads

Hi all, I didn’t see a post just like this..
I have 1998 Mercruiser 4.3 and Alpha 1 drive. New this season, a lot of gear lube is leaking into the hull. I’ll go take it apart and plan to replace the shaft seal,.. is that most likely the problem?

Thank you -
Steve

do you have a gear oil reservoir on the transom?
Hi no, there isn’t one. Also it’s a 1988 gen 1 alpha 1 and I could feel it coming from the outdrive.. Looks like water in the gear oil too.. I’m taking the whole unit off now and plan to get the full seal/ bellows kit, check the u joints and gimbal for water. I’ll see when I get in there, but anticipate major work with all the seals.. then senders,.. then throttle cable..
but I am curious where that could be coming in from

Thank you both!
Got it apart this morning and looks right. I’ll get a spanner wrench and seal get today.
Check the yoke (that is the input shaft to drive ) for a groove or corrosion where the seal rides. Often times you need to polish this, replace or use a speedi sleeve if worn otherwise new seal will leak

Check the yoke (that is the input shaft to drive ) for a groove or corrosion where the seal rides. Often times you need to polish this, replace or use a speedi sleeve if worn otherwise new seal will leak
You can press seal into aluminum carrier a little more to get seal lip to ride on fresh metal. I do this often on older high hour drives

You can press seal into aluminum carrier a little more to get seal lip to ride on fresh metal. I do this often on older high hour drives
Correct, had read that but never personally done it. It just needs to go farther in .040" in or so ?

Thanks kghost and Dieter, I’ll check the corrosion when I get there.. I’ll work on it early next week and report back. Great tip on Speedi sleeve

Back