Logo

freeze plugs

Which year?
Early V/P 4 cylinder engines were Volvo. Later are GM.

BTW, these are actually casting core plugs.
It just so happens that if you're lucky, they sometimes push outward if the coolant were to freeze and expand.

I have a 2001 Sylvan party barge I just purchased it and this is my first winter and not sure how many plugs to remove I have been told from local people that they have 2 plugs and also they have 4 I just dont want to miss something

thanks
bdk

OK, you are wanting to remove "Drain Plugs", not core plugs or freeze plugs!
First, you will want to have on hand, a Volvo Penta OEM service manual...... not Seloc, not Clymers..... OEM.
There should be a section that covers all low point drains, and recommendations for winter storage protection.

Visit this page and find your engine model number.
Then click on the appropriate link for schematic views and part numbers, etc.

You are welcome, hope that it helped you.

All too often, people want these winterizing procedures handed to them on a plate..... and sometimes we do just that!
However, there is no substitute for reading this for your self, OEM book in hand, images and views right there to aid you.
Honestly, you'll have a much better understanding of what you are doing, when you do that!

Forums are great, and are very helpful....., but the forum info should always be considered a suppliment to OEM procedures.
On the flip side, occassionally OEM procedures are not necessarily the best.

Back