Logo

First time Mercruiser project

Going Galt

Hello everyone. I have worked in auto engines and marine diesels but I am looking for advice on working on the Mercruiser 8.2 EFI engine. 1996 model. 89 engine hours. Been sitting for 10 years.
The original exhaust manifolds need to be replaced.
1. I have never seen exhaust bolts this bad. I was able to remove some of them, but others are so rusted you cannot even see a bolt head. I thought the best course of action would be to use a die grinder to grind down what is left, maybe go down a little into the mounting flange. Any suggesstions?
2. My manifolds have silent choice mechanisms bolted to them. I don't see such threads tapped into stock manifolds online. I suppose I just drill and tap them?
3. On install, just a gasket? No sealer such as Aviation Form a Gasket? how about the bolts, do I need sealer?
4. Any other novel issues I should be aware of?
Thank you

Grind the heads off then use a BFH to drive the manifolds off the ruined bolts. With any luck the manifolds will come off, you get the old bolts out and you move on with your life. When u install use the genuine gaskets from our host. No sealant on there.

Back