Logo

Extra holes in side of 454XL

pugwash

Contributing Member
"I just had the pleasure of re

"I just had the pleasure of re-installing the drain plugs in the side of the blocks on my 454's (I wish someone had suggested replacing them straight away after draining).
I had to clean out the threads with a 1/4" NPT tap only to find a second set of clean threaded holes on the starboard side of each engine, about 3" behind the drain holes I was rethreading.
What are they for?"
 
"Chris, i am not that familier

"Chris, i am not that familier with the 454's but on my 350 I would say they are the old moter mount holes. Or something simaler to that."
 
It's usually used in the a

It's usually used in the auto/truck applications to help retain the starter motor.
 
"That's good, it kind of g

"That's good, it kind of got me a little confused.
I couldn't actually see where I was cleaning out the drain hole when all of a sudden, the tap went in easy due to it being the same thread.....hmmm, I could see a lot easier on the port engine but I couldn't see up the hole."
 
"the pipe tap mated up??? The

"the pipe tap mated up??? The starter strap hole had a 3/8 coarse thread screw, i think. a 1/4 NPT tap would enter that hole easily but I don't think the pitch is the same. The starter strap hole is in a single small boss, about 5-6" in front of the flywheel flange, at the same 'height' as the drain plug on the 'starboard' side of the block"
 
"Are you saying you couldn&#39

"Are you saying you couldn't see what you where doing since you had to practically stand on head and feel about like a person reading braille?

Been there, done that!

Jeff"
 
"I'll check the thread aga

"I'll check the thread again today when I go up and contort upside down with arms stretched to the max and legs at either side of each engine in the dark while reciting Shakespeare and using a wrench and a tap at the same time, in the bilge."
 
"Yeah, well I forgot I had to

"Yeah, well I forgot I had to whistle Dixie and sing the entire Messiah aswell.
I checked the thread and it matched the drain holes, they are also further forward on the engine block to be starter motor holes.
The mystery remains goes on.....what a cliff-hanger, better than Who Shot JR!!"
 
Back
Top