Logo

Engine Troubles

ruckus3313

Regular Contributor
"1983 85HP Force Outboard/ He

"1983 85HP Force Outboard/ Here is the story...

Boat starts just fine. Idles perfect. In neutral..you can rev it right up sounds good. All three carbs removed cleaned and all bowls have fuel(clean even).It has new plugs. However, as soon as the boat has load on the motor underway it bogs down. 3/4 throttle you get about 8MPH?? Full throttle it wants to sputter and stall.just real doggy. tried advancing the timing both ways. no good.?? Anybody have an idea on what could be the problem with this thing???Thanks for any help"

"Day 3,

Still cant get th

"Day 3,

Still cant get the motor to open up when under load?? Checked electrical,carb,cylinder,fuel items and all look ok? That doesn't mean much by "looking ok" We are just outta ideas on where to look on this thing. Thinking about junking the motor at this point. any feedback would be great"

"Have you checked your fuel pu

"Have you checked your fuel pump at all? I have an 85 HP also and I had the same problem. Took it to 3 different mechanics on none of them figured it out. Finally found a guy that knew his stuff and he sold me a fuel pump diaphram. $1.69, 5 screws and about 10 minutes. It's run perfectly ever since.
The Diaphram is just a flat peice of rubber and it can dry out and crack allowing too much fuel into the engine at high rpms.
Could even be a leak in one of the fuel lines. Check all the connections, make sure they are tight. Also check the bulb. That sometimes goes bad and won't keep pressure.
Let us know what you find.
Good luck"

"thanks Bret,

Yeah diaphrag

"thanks Bret,

Yeah diaphragm is new. I think we got it down to plug wires.. Havent had a chance to look at it again but I will double check the diaphragm just in case the new one has a pin hole in it.

Thanks again"

hey my chrysler did the same t

hey my chrysler did the same thing. sounds like the carbs just need to be adjusted your moters probable nod bad so dont trust thoes people that say that they dont know anything. ps my engins is a 1969 and runs great just needed the carb ajusted and the boat took right off

"It just died while cruising o

"It just died while cruising on the river. I,ve torn it down completly. The top is sitting on my work bench. All I have left to do is to remove flywheel in order to remove the stator and the other electrical items. The bottom piston is pitted on top, that same cylinder wall has a pretty deep scratch. I believe the sleeve can be replaced, not sure? People have told me that the force motor is garbage. I really don't know. What are your thoughts, and eperience with outboards?"

well first of all what is the

well first of all what is the year and then i can see if it is worth it for you to rebuild or just seller for parts.

Back