Logo

Engine Swap Question

fireguync

I just bought a 1994 Chaparral 1930 SST with a Mercruiser/GM 305. When I bought the boat the current owner explained that the boat was winterized and the engine block still cracked. Upon looking at it it is more than a "crack" I have since purchased a long block to replace it. The company I purchased the long block through sold me on upgrading to a 5.7 from the 5.0. I upgraded some of the internals to give me a little more HP. What do I need to do for the fuel system in this case? It is the mechanical fuel pump with I believe to be a 2 barrel carb. If I upgrade to a 4bbl carb where do you recommend me getting the intake and carb? Also will the stop mechanical fuel pump still work or do I need to find a high volume one? Thank you and stay safe.

I would suggest getting a marine 4 bbl intake for your engine (amount of bolts determine which type).
I would suggest a Edelbrock marine 4 bbl, YOU WONT BE disapointed

here is a link to their web site but you may find a better deal doing an online search

Note: the fuel pump will work for any stock carbed engine.
Note: You may have to replace the hard line from pump to carb. A late 90's mercruiser 5.7 with mechnical fuel pump with a weber 4bbl that hard line bolts right up. Or yours can be bent to fit but that is something you will need to figure out.

I would suggest getting a marine 4 bbl intake for your engine (amount of bolts determine which type). If you want max power look for an aftermarket med high rise for the carb below. Could get you to 300 hp.
Note: Alpha out drive are MAX 300 HP Small block engine unless Heavy duty gears are installed then it can take an additional 20 to 50 HP.
Before the Bravo drive they started putting 454's with alpha drives and the upper gear cases exploded when doing hole shots due to the higher hp and torque..
I would suggest a Edelbrock marine 4 bbl, YOU WONT BE disappointed.
here is a link to their web site but you may find a better deal doing an online search

Note: the fuel pump will work for any stock carbed engine.
Note: You may have to replace the hard line from pump to carb. A late 90's mercruiser 5.7 with mechnical fuel pump with a weber 4bbl that hard line bolts right up. Or yours can be bent to fit but that is something you will need to figure out.

My 5.7L circa 2007 is rated @ 260HP with a 2bbl TKS carb. TKS portion of the carb has been troublefree since I did the engine swap.

Back