Logo

Early 90's 60 Evinrude tiller

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Reviewing ancient writings of Racer. Working on this motor has me baffled, can't get it to idle smoothly, it backfires and stumbles. Timing light shows steady spark with no fluctuating. 3 cylinder. ID tag worn off, but boat looks original, owner said is titled as 1994. Rebuilt carbs, changed head gasket, compression 110, little lower on upper cylinder. Top carb had wrong main jet....#34. Replaced with #45? Can't figure out how this happened, also all 3 floats were installed upside down. Original stator and original trigger but brand new CDI power pack. New non oxy dispensed direct with 6 gallon tank. New spark plugs. Tested trigger and stator with CDI tech live over the phone. Degreed and confirmed timing and tdc on flywheel. Tried another brand new CDI power pack yesterday. Same problem. Been at this outboard repair for 57 years, this is puzzling. No Alzheimer's yet. Any suggestions?Screenshot_20230522-095005.pngScreenshot_20230522-095105.png

Can somebody please make some suggestions for me on this motor? I am talking with the owner right now. He is trying to sell it not running. This is humiliating. Thanks.

No it doesn't. Owner says it's 94, but ID tag is damaged. Something was rubbing on it there, can't read it. Is there another way to find the year? Thanks, my friend. Tim

If it has the bridged exhaust port it highly likely the pistons are scuffed on exhaust side. Cylinder wall will look fine

So that will cause the stumbling and misfiring? Yes the walls looked fine. How are these compression readings? 105, 112, 112?

Question: What's mint mint 90 1986 "Tower" worth? I mean MINT. All new CDI electronics and tuned up by yours truly. Never used ethanol, stored inside. Guy has a big trucking company, can deliver. Controls for pontoon 24' long Base/clear finish, applied by his body shop. Thanks, Tim

Okay, Pappy.... Then you think the upper cylinder might have some piston damage which will not show up as scoring on the upper part of the cylinder? The. #34 main jet....not knowing how long it was there, would have likely caused the damage? Thanks.

Back