Logo

DT 85

buck1

"My DT 85 started losing power

"My DT 85 started losing power after hitting full throttle. Down to about 1/3 or less. Also engine is sounding funny. A friend suggested it could be a failed crank seal, carb jet, or water in fuel. Help?"

Good suggestion. The top plug

Good suggestion. The top plug was fouled with oil. I put new plugs in and took it out. Still didn't get up like it should. Checked the plugs and the top one was a little wet. So I leaned up the top plug in increments until it seemed to top out close to top speed and checked it again and it was a running a little hotter.

I'm curious what is causing this. Is this cylinder just starting to lose compression?

Also try changing the oil, crap oil will really make a Suzuki run like a dog and oil up the plugs. If the motor is oil injected, clean the old oil out. If u mix it, buy some Kendall gt2 stroke oil. Let the motor clean itself out 15-30 mins WOT and it should be much better. Seems silly but I had the same issue, and could never figure it out till I talked to the guy I bought my boat from. I told him I keep fouling plugs and it keeps dogging. He told me it was the oil, and to only use Kendall... Dunno but it worked

Back