Logo

Drive shaft difference

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Hi good morning can anyone let me know what the difference is between the 1958 and a 1959 Johnson drive shaft shows different part number 305267 (59/60), and 304933 for the 57/58?
Thanks, Tim
 
Looks like lots of changes between 1958 and 1959, different crankshaft part number, change in midsection from old style to the "super quiet" midsection, different water pump part number. spline count, diameter, or lenght maybe different. Not sure, I don't have them to compare parts.
 
Yes that could be all it is. I'm selling one on eBay and the guy wonders if it will fit a 59. Thanks guys, maybe I'll message old Joe Reeves he might know too.
 
Yes that could be all it is. I'm selling one on eBay and the guy wonders if it will fit a 59. Thanks guys, maybe I'll message old Joe Reeves he might know too.
Timer,
Did you ever ascertain if the if the '58 and '59 driveshafts were interchangeable? Not many of us left who really care but if I run into this challenge again, I'll be poised to supply the solution thanks to you!
 
Ha. Tims Outboard in Hackensack says it might be just the key that drives the waterpump. Older ones had a pin. I'm talking with Joe Reeves on it too. Yes, he is alive and doing well at 94. Greatest man I know for his age and knowledge.
 
God bless him, my mom is pushing 93, lives with my wife and me, first female stock broker in Florida for Merrill Lynch back in the day, drinks a gallon of milk every 4 days. She eats and drinks like a teenager and she's not fat! She's just amazing... Something about that generation.
 
Back
Top