Logo

DR H Coil Test

FlowThru1

Hello,

I was just reading a recent thread where DR H was used to test ignition coils (and fuel injectors). Was wondering how that was done ?

I have a 2017 BF250. Last summer at 580 hrs, I was only getting 4800 RPMs at WOT and it was sounding like there was a miss. I was expecting to get 5400+ RPMs.

I used the "igniter test" on DR H (BRP version) on all coils. I pulled each plug, inserted the plug back into the coil, and grounded the plug against the engine. When I pressed the test button on DR H button, I could hear a snap at the plug but saw No spark. It was the same for each cylinder. I could Not tell the difference between any of the coils. DR H reported No error codes as well. Maybe these old eyes just don't work well on a sunny day ?

The #3 plug had pretty good burn marks on the ceramic. I replaced all the plugs and the #3 coil. Throwing parts at it worked this time. I was back to 5900 RPMs and none of the plugs showed any issues 6 months later.

Was also curious if anyone adds fuel injector cleaner directly to the offboard, water separator/fuel filter as a preventive ? I have never used fuel injector cleaner and the engine has 650 hours.

Thank you.

I don't see spark on sunny days either. Most newer plugs don't seem to make as much light as the old copper based ground strapped ones either. I used to throw a blanket over my head until I found a spark tester that forces a pretty healthy spark to jump. Easily seen in the day.
Not sure how that might work the DrH test though.

Fuel injector cleaner is a good thing IMO but I would be cautious to not over dose. I have never thought about putting in the water separator but not sure I would.

I'm a big fan of the Chevron Techron ll Marine Fuel treatment. I've been running that in anything gasoline powered that I own for a couple of years now.
There are some very eye opening comparison tests on the Utube that makes me confident I'm doing the right thing. That and no complaints from any of my equipment.

Congratulations on sorting out your miss issue. Most of us don't get so lucky first guess ;>)

Welcome to the forum!

Back