Logo

Disconnecting the shift rod on a 1997 Johnson 115

DougDayFL

I followed the manual and removed the air silencer and then removed the shift rod link retaining pin. It then says to push the shift rod link toward the power head to disengage the shift rod. I've removed the retaining pin, but pushing the shift rod link doesn't move. Here's the page from the manual. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Gearcase Servicing - All Models.pdf
    181.8 KB · Views: 6
Push it all the way and rotate a bit.----Shift rod disconnects for me every time !----There are 2 different 115 HP models in 97.----I assume you have the 60 degree looper.-----Model # is ?

This is what I’m seeing. If I move a hose I can see the part connected to the shift rod, but not sure where to go from here.
My wife says I’m always confused.

Push that arm all the way to the port side.----Then rotate slightly.----Shift rod will be disconnected.----Works for me !!

Push the lower unit back up.----Put one bolt back in the lower unit a with space to allow the lower unit to drop.----.----Just so the lower unit does not fall on your toes.-----Then push that rod over to the port side and rotate it which ever way you can.--Might need an assistant to push the rod itself ( under the cowling ) to help.--Shift rod will disconnect every time.----Or put 2 bolts in and herry to your local boat shop for help.----Will take just minutes to have the gearcase off..

Been busy with a family thing. Got the pump put together and after three attempts thought I had t shift rod connected. Can’t see in ther, so I got a miniature camera. Haven’t got it yet. Any tips?

Put lower unit in NEUTRAL.------With that lever vertical , see if you can engage the hole in the rod.----An assistant to move the shift rod front to back may help in aligning the hole to engage the pin.

Back