Logo

Crusader 454 Thermo Electron 1987

dominique

Just lost on both of my 454 Crusader engines... Both have a hole when I power up swiftly the throttles, I then replaced new (overhauled) Carburetors, performed fresh timing and replaced fuel filters but still a lost in power. Might be Fuel pump but how to make sure? Last since replacing the Carburetors the starboard engine does not exceed 3000 rpms when cruising, port still climb up to 3400 rpms. :confused: Any thoughts? Thanks

You need to make sure fuel is flowing freely before you investigate a given area more deeply...the pump needs to deliver enough volume at a given pressure to keep the carb fuel.

If you still have the canister filter, when was the last time it was changed? same for any spin ons?

if you have a shared tank (since the issue gets both engines) you may have crud in the tank that collects on the pickup screens once the engines are running.

A fuel pressure test wouldn't be a bad start...

Hello Makomak, Thanks for the guidance, both fuel canister filters were cleaned up at the last servicing but the hole was already existing. Each fuel tanks are independent thus I do not expect any issues from the tank themselves. I just removed them to respray the fuel tank area and checked them internaly, no mud...
Fuel pressure check would be a good start as you said, keep you posted. BTW today one engine did not start ignition problem. Didn't you say that boating was the best school of patience;). All the best.

Another test you can do is to connect a vacuum gauge to the suction side of the fuel pump and observe it as you operate the engine. Any sudden change in the vacuum the pump creates will alter the fuel delivered...

Patience is one characteristic that may grow while boating but isn't guaranteed....consumption of money, on the other hand, is a given.

:)

Last edited:
Whatever the cause, don't screw around with it! Gas starvation burns pistons.

I'd start with a fuel pressure test. You have to Tee in a connection for the pressure gage---not easy to do, but it tells you immediately if it's a pressure problem.

Jeff

Back