Logo

Cranking AMPS Required for TAMD41A?

bobt

Contributing Member
Anyone knows the Cranking Amps required for TAMD41a ? Bought new Delco with 1000 Amp and 800 CCA, but not cranking. Thanks BobT

Not sure of the actual spec, but 800CCA should be OK if charged. Have you checked the cable ends to see if you have corrosion under the heat shrink. Best guess is that all that power either isn't getting to the starter, or the starter is bad.

Ali, I've got three starters, so I re-overhaul the one on the bench and re-try it. You are probably right, these new batteries are 1000 Amps Delco with 800 CCA and just not doing it. Temped to disconnect one engine and parallel the batteries on one side, just to see if more cranking amp would work. I really hate to even think about changing out the starboard starter. Ain't easy to get to...nope not at all. Thanks for the help, BobT

Bob - Have you checked the cable ends. I guess around 75% of the starter problems I come across are corroded cable ends that you can't see. If you know how, check the volt drop on the cables when you turn the key to start. If not sure what to do, post back here and I will write a more detailed explanation. It is pretty simple to do once you know how.

BobT, I set mine up with two batteries isolated with a heavy duty solenoid and a relay. The batteries are connected in parallel only when cranking. Also, check grounds!

Back