Logo

Coil Question

carogator

Regular Contributor
on 4 stroke 2 cyl engine, with wasted spark coil, can you cross the spark plug leads and still run properly?
This is just a generic question, but it is mod. E15R4SSE.

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I thought that was probably right. Compression was : top cyl. 135, bottom cyl. was 120.
Valves were checked and reset as they were too tight. This motor had cooling problems,corrected w/ complete kit, would start and run well for two minutes, then start shaking and misfiring and shut down. After waiting a while it would start again and run for a shorter time. Coil readings w/ohm meter- ground to primary .3, secondary to secondary was no reading at all, and no continuity.Plug wires were .6 & .7
Primary to secondary's was no reading, didn' expect any. Same w/ ground to secondary.
Found a supplier w/coil by same part #, got it in and was made different, wires out the side , not top. And ground wire instead of strap. Modified to mount and installed. Now motor starts misfiring and shaking as soon as cranks. also sneezes back thru carb, Don't really understand how it ran on old coil with the readings it had.

Revised compression readings top 105
bottom 95
was for wrong motor.
Spark test a full 1/2" micrometer measured

New coil shows .6 on primary
4100 on secondary with scale set on 200K at end of plug wires.

Last edited:
Ideas for what? You dont even bother asking a question. No idea what your motor is doing nobody is a mind reader.
carogator
user-online.png
Contributing Member
level-2.gif

Join DateFeb 2012Posts95​

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: Coil Question[/h]
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I thought that was probably right. Compression was : top cyl. 135, bottom cyl. was 120.
Valves were checked and reset as they were too tight. This motor had cooling problems,corrected w/ complete kit, would start and run well for two minutes, then start shaking and misfiring and shut down. After waiting a while it would start again and run for a shorter time. Coil readings w/ohm meter- ground to primary .3, secondary to secondary was no reading at all, and no continuity.Plug wires were .6 & .7
Primary to secondary's was no reading, didn' expect any. Same w/ ground to secondary.
Found a supplier w/coil by same part #, got it in and was made different, wires out the side , not top. And ground wire instead of strap. Modified to mount and installed. Now motor starts misfiring and shaking as soon as cranks. also sneezes back thru carb, Don't really understand how it ran on old coil with the readings it had.

Post #3 and #4
Question=Did you read these?​

Ok, waiting for my brother to bring another comp gauge, Checked timing belt and the white mark on crankshaft is on the spot everytime the camshaft marks line up with the pointers. Got me thinking, did I adjust the valves properly? I may done it Backwards.
After this storm passes thru SC I will remove covers and recheck valves.
This motor did run before I adjusted valves and changed coil, just only for 3 or 4 minutes before stumbling. I changed coil because it had no resistance on secondary windings.
What do you think?

Racerone: and anyone else interested. OK, I have rechecked timing belt and everything matches by the manual., rechecked valve lash and that remains good. Rechecked compression with new guage and got 120 on top cyl. and 115 on bottom cyl. Did nighttime spark test, and had no sparks jumping anywhere it shouldn't. Oil pressure gauge installed and pressure was 35#. Checked head bolt torque up to 95 in. pds. and nothing moved. New water pump kit installed.
I guess the next step is to get the CDI trouble shooting guide and learn how to use my new DVA adapter. What do you think?

Back