Logo

Clucking sound at idle then stalls out motor

i have a 92 thompson 180 with a 3.0LX in it. today i took it out and i noticed a clunking sound. so i investigated it and found nothing. i seemed like it did it most while idleing then it got worse and them the it stalled the motor out. then when i tried to start it the motor would turn over about half way then stop (as if the starter motor wasnt strong enough). so then i turned the key a bunch of times fast and it started to turn over and i gave it some throtle and it started and then i was able to get it back to the ramp and load it up. any ideas of what it could be?

i would appriciate any help

thanks

david

oil looks like what?

Did it overheat?

Me i would pull the spark plugs now right now and turn it over and see if water shoots out the plug holes now.

If yes then you must now do certain things to save the motor. Tomorrow maybe too late if it's saltwater then you really have zero time mist bbe remediated now.

no there is not water in the motor. im pretty sure its the out drive. cuz also when it was tied up and i turned the key the steering wheel started spinning. as if the torqe from the starter wanted to turn the outdrive cuz its tied up

Back